Google AdSense is depreciated: But you can still easily add Google ads manually, by creating ad codes and placing them on your website.
The official plugin for Google AdSense is no longer available in the WordPress program. Google decided that they could better support WP publishers “through new innovative features like their automatic ad formats and other upcoming initiatives”. I am eagerly waiting for these upcoming initiatives, automated ads alone might not be enough. Nevertheless, we can still create new ads from the Adsense homepage.
This development does not affect Google ads, it just changes how you place ads on your website. For example, if you’re currently using the AdSense Plugin for WordPress in your WordPress site, then you’re affected by this change. After the plugin has been deprecated, you will no longer be able to edit your ad settings or ad units directly through the AdSense Plugin.
I am not an expert on Google AdSense or any other plugin for that matter, but I still need to be able to edit and create a new ad, and the simpler the better. Hopefully this post will serve as a good memo for me, and if possible help you to create and manage your own Google ads with ease.
Create and add a new Google ad.
Here are the simple steps you can take to create and add a new ad unit in your website.
- Go to https://www.google.com/adsense
- Visit the My ads page.
- Create a new ad unit.
- Paste the ad code directly into text widgets in WordPress.
- Open a text widget in your WordPress (Make sure your text widget can read HTML code)
- Paste your ad code in this widget and update your editing.
Further elaboration is provided below in case the above steps are not enough.
- Go to https://www.google.com/adsense. Log in to open your AdSense home page.
- In the home page click “My ads” to open your ad page from the left side bar. Ad page opens so that you can see your existing ads and also create new ones.
- Create a new ad unit by clicking the “New ad unit” button
- Select the size you want for your ad.
- Select your preferred type of ad. There are three options here;
- Text and Display: This type of ad allows Google to decide what ad to show between a text and an image.
- Text: This type of ad will only display only text ad on your website.
- Display: This type only displays image ads when enabled.
Click Save to finish. You will get a message saying that your ad creation was successful, the message will also contain your code.
Copy the ad code and paste it in the appropriate area in your website.
Where to Place Your Ad
Google ad codes are HTML responsive and the text section of your editor is the main HTML source in WordPress. Apart from this native HTML source, you can also download a text/HTML plugin to place your codes, especially if you want to place an ad outside the main post area.
Most WP themes has an inbuilt sidebar a text widget. Note that ads placed on the sidebar will be visible on all your web pages.